This innovative 2003 adaptation by the husband-and-wife writing team of Allison Gregory and Steven Dietz of P.D. Eastman’s beloved 1961 book for early readers bursts to life on NCT’s stage in an explosion of movement, a kaleidoscope of color and a circus-wagon load of clowning. Join Red Dog, Blue Dog, Yellow Dog and Green Dog as they bark, scoot, scratch, drive, and howl at the moon. Go, Dog. Go! is an exhilarating celebration of childhood for children of all ages.
Peter Vann, who played the role of MC Dog in NCT’s 2008 production of Go, Dog .Go! directs this production. “The last time NCT produced this play I had to miss four performances due to the birth of my first son,” says Vann. “I could not be more pleased and giddily excited to now be directing this tremendously funny show just at the time that my boy is old enough to get all of the jokes. I’ve never been in a play that so successfully makes an entire audience literally bust a gut laughing within the first 45 seconds of the show, and then continue to relentlessly sustain that feeling of breathless awe and uncontrollable laughter until the very last second of the show. Go, Dog. Go! is truly astounding.”
The cast features Josh Bernaski, Aleta Myles, Jessica Kuende, Aaron Muñoz, Janette Bruce, Daniel Collins, and Ben Van Diepen as the playful dogs climbing under, over, up, and down. Scenic design is by Mitch Massaro, with costume design by Patricia Taber, video design by Colin Peterson, and lighting design by Scott Leathers.
Nashville Children’s Theatre is located at 25 Middleton St. Public performances include a 6:30 p.m. preview on Thursday, April 11; Saturday performances at 11 a.m.; and Sunday performances at 2 p.m. (There will be no show on Sunday, April 14.)
• Preview Performance: Thursday, April 11 at 6:30 pm – This performance has discounted pricing of $6/youth and $12/adult and senior. It is open to the public.
• Opening Saturday: Saturday, April 13 – Prior to the 11 a.m. performance on this day, NCT hosts special show related activities. The activities are free.
• Sensory Friendly Performance: Saturday, May 18 – The theater welcomes all kids and families to our performances, but knows that some families hesitate to bring their children to live theatre without knowing how they might react. The 2 p.m. Sensory Friendly performance is designed to be a safe and accepting environment where children with disabilities and their typically developing peers are free to speak and move in reaction to the story being told onstage. NCT provides a Comfort Room in the back of the theatre where audience members can always adjust both light and sound levels. This Comfort Room is available for any performance at NCT.
• After-words: Saturday, April 20 – After the 11 a.m. performance NCT invites the audience to enjoy a Q & A with some of the show’s cast and technical staff to learn more about the show’s creation.
• Open Captioning: Saturday, April 27 – The 11 a.m. show will offer open captioning for patrons with hearing loss. Open Captioning is co-sponsored by Tennessee Captioning.
Tickets can be purchased online at nashvillect.org or by phone at (615) 252-4675.
• Youth (up to age 17) and Senior (age 65 and up): $12
• Adult: $19
• Groups of ten or more: $11/person
• Preview performance: $6/youth and $12/adult
This production is sponsored by BP, KPMG and Mars Petcare.
*Photo/art by Colin Peterson of Josh Bernaski as MC Dog courtesy Nashville Children’s Theatre.